ADOPTIONS ONLY WITHIN A 100 MILE RADIUS OF THE INDEP/KCMO AREA
Veterinarian Reference Showing a History of Good Pet Ownership is Required
You must be 21 or older
Process of Adoption:
1. Decide on the animal(s) you are interested in.
2. Click on the “Adoption Application” located at the top of your
3. Completely fill out the application.
4. Submit the application by clicking on the "Submit" button.
5. Once we receive your application, it is then reviewed and
the vet reference is checked. (This can take a couple of days.)
6. If your application is chosen, we will contact you within 5 days for a phone interview.
7. At the end of the phone interview, if both parties feel we have made a match, we will schedule a home visit. We bring the animal you are interested in to your home. At that time, we interact the animal with your other animals, children, and adults.
We ask that everyone in the household be present for the
NOTE: There will be no obligation by either party. At this
time we will not be leaving the animal with you.
8. The family will then decide if they would like to start a two week trial with the animal. ABF decides if this is the right home for the animal. If everyone agrees, then we start a trial period with the animal.
9. During the trial period, ABF will furnish the crate needed for the animal, leash, and collar. The adoptive family and ABF are
in contact during the whole trial period.
10. If the trial period is a success, ABF will finalize the adoption. If either party determines that the conditions do not warrant placement of the dog/cat, then ABF will take the animal back. In either case, all materials supplied by ABF during the trial period are to be returned.
If at any time you are unable to keep your ABF adopted pet, we ask that the animal be returned to ABF.